What You’ll Need
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (from a 15-ounce package)
- 1 1/2 cups plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
What to Do
- Place pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate, pressing crust firmly into plate, then flute edges. Bake according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine 1-1/2 cups sugar, the cornstarch and salt; mix well. Whisk in lemon juice and water until combined. Whisk in egg yolks. Add boiling water and butter and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in lemon zest. Pour into pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie filling, sealing to edges of crust.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Let cool 6 hours, then slice and serve. Store leftovers in refrigerator.