The U.S Department of Housing and Urban DevelopmentÂ announced nearly $2.2 billion in grants to support homeless assistance programs across the nation in a news release.
Of that, almost $1 million was awarded to agencies and programs here in the Ozarks.
“A safe, affordable place to call home is key when creating a path toward opportunity and self-sufficiency,” HUD Secretary Ben Carson said in the release. “The grants awarded today help our partners on the ground reduce homelessness in their communities and help our most vulnerable neighbors.”
HUD Continuum of Care grant funding supports a broad array of interventions designed to assist individuals and families experiencing homelessness, particularly those living in places not meant for habitation, located in sheltering programs, or at imminent risk of becoming homeless, the release said.
HUD challenges state and local planning organizations called “Continuums of Care” to support their highest-performing local programs that have proven most effective in meeting the needs of people experiencing homelessness in their communities.Â
Many local programs awarded
Here are local programs and projects that were awarded HUD grants:
- 2016 SCG Shelter Plus Care, Department of Mental Health,Â SpringfieldÂ â $143,561
- Catholic Charities Rapid Rehousing CoCR â $67,620Â
- Catholic Charities Rapid Rehousing CoC â $50,190
- Empowering Home, Great CircleÂ â $57,627
- HAS Permanent Housing, The Kitchen, Inc.Â â $82,009
- MO Springfield HMIS Project (a new project to fund ongoing technical support) â $32,000
- MO-600 CoC DV Bonus Project Application, Harmony HouseÂ â $79,416
- MO-600 CoC Planning Application FY2019 (a renewal project that is awarded to the city of Springfield to assist in the system-wide coordination of homeless and housing services) â $31,357
- The Kitchen, Inc. Chronic Permanent Supportive HousingÂ â $133,119
- The Kitchen, Inc. Rapid Rehousing FamiliesÂ âÂ $298,577
- The Kitchen, Inc. Rapid Rehousing Youth â $9,435
Total awarded to the local continuumÂ of care: $984,956
Read or Share this story: https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2020/01/21/local-homeless-agencies-awarded-hud-money-ozarks/4487682002/